THIS SERIES WILL BASICALLY EXPLAIN THE KERNEL DEVELOPMENT OF THE DEVICE SAMSUNG GALAXY S2, BUT CAN BE USED WITH OTHER DEVICES ALSO WITH SOME CHANGES.
Dharam’s Android Kernel Development Tutorials
1. Download Ubuntu x64 from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
2. Install Ubuntu directly or as a Virtual Machine ( I prefer direct installation)
3. If setup is Virtual Machine, Please dedicate enough RAM and processor for the Kernel to build fast, else it will take ages
Logging In As Root
1. When Ubuntu first boots, login with the username and password you mentioned while installing.
2. Open Terminal
3. Use following command.(Always the code after $/# is the one to be used. The one before that just specifies [email protected]:~)
## Anything after ## is a comment by me. Code:
[email protected]:~$ sudo passwd
[sudo] password for dharammaniar: ## Enter password which you used to login.
Enter new UNIX password: ## Enter Password for root(it can be same as your prev password)
Retype new UNIX password: ## Re-Enter Password for root
passwd: password updated successfully
[email protected]:~$ su
Password: ## Enter the root password
4. Once you get the last line as above means you now have root access.
5. Now logout from this user and login with username as root
6. On starting Terminal now, you should get Code:
Setting Up Build Environment
1. You should always be running as root.
2. Go To System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
3. Search for ncurses-devel
4. Install libncurses5-dev.
5. Download the toolchain. You can find it in the AOSP Source. I will also upload it soon enough.